I usually just add some new soil or composted soil into the holes where the plants are in the spring time and that seems to work great. To create a watering column, measure the height of your strawberry pot and then cut a piece of 1 1/2-inch PVC piping that is 1 to 2 inches shorter than this measurement. Usually comes in 10′ lengths (for reference). If you have a small space, you could use ordinary PVC pipes to grow tons of strawberry plants. the secret to growing strawberries easily. 6. Nov 6, 2013 - Strawberry Planter: Make a strawberry planter out of excess materials around the house. Pipe Projects Trellis. Yes they do. Here is a video tutorial for them. Here is more strawberry information on our website http://extension.umd.edu/growit/fruit-profiles/strawberriesmh. Thank you for the Wonderful option to beds! There is many drainage holes in the bottom of the pipe to allow adequate drainage. But you can do this on the ground if thats easier for you. With your handsaw, cut the pipe down to the length you need it if you didn’t have the gentlemen at the hardware store do so for you. Place one of the caps you purchased on ONE end of your pipe. Step 2: Cut Ive never had an issue with them surviving. If you have another idea for how to get these out, leave it in the comments section below. I’m going to put a list of the exact items I used and you can go from there. I’ll have a tool list below as well so take a look at that as well. . let me know if you have an other questions. 4. We had great year!! Organic gardening soil. I’m always looking for new ways to do things and growing produce is no exception. Take your sharpie and your tape measure and put a mark every 3″ down the underside of your pipe. For a large strawberry planter, connect several tiers of pipes together with elbow joints and three-way connectors. I empty mine out every year after growing season is over. Care to give it a try? When it started to backup, I simply tipped the pipe up to force the soil down to the bottom. However, if you are doing this alone ladies, I did find that having leverage on your drill and locking the base of the drill in between your legs kept it from spinning. Easy to make, easy to plant, easy to harvest. Most of the time I may have 1-2 that dont make it, but Id say thats pretty good considering how many plants I have in each one. How do the runners propagate with this method? Fortunately I have a willing husband to be as excited about strawberries as I am. The PVC strawberry planter takes up little room and allows the plant to grow downwards instead of out. There’s nothing worse then getting started on something and then having to stop and head to the store (again) because you forgot something. Yes, I know this seems obvious, but I’m stating this because I’m not liable if you get injured. You can use PVC pipes to make a very beautiful strawberry tower which is a very pleasant approach to growing a lot of strawberries in limited yard space. Id love to know how it worked in your 4B area. Once you have drilled your 3″ holes down the length of your pipe, it’s time to clean up around the edges a bit. Once you have done this, you should have a hole drilled every 1.5″ down the underside of the pipe for drainage. A few more ideas. The root system needs to be protected and will not survive the winter outdoors with row cover or in your basement. Should I take the whole pipe with plants intact into the basement and basically ignore them over the winter, or should I maybe try some sort of row cover where I would leave the pipe and plants suspended on the fence line over the winter? Good luck. I used a bucket, some left over 1 1/2" pvc pipe, some small chain, and some silicon caulking. We got a 5"x10' piece for $15 at a local landscaping supply warehouse. Not something you have to do, but it will look much cleaner when you are finished. Please keep my posted! Thank you again for the cool idea! I used this to pry the pieces of pipe out of the saw hole bit. 4.1 out of 5 stars 62. You can create a planter as large as your space will hold. Strawberry plants. Hope this helps. The amount you’ll need will also depend on how many you are making. Good luck. I found the easiest and fastest way to fill the pipe with soil was to hold it up at an angle and put the soil in. Vertical Strawberry Tube Planter. Perfect PVC Garden Projects if you’re a small space gardener!. 1. I do with mine in beds, and would like to try this method, just not sure how to make sure they survive the winter. You may paint your PVC pipe to make it more visually pleasing, but choose a light color, like terracotta red, yellow, light green or blue. Bury the last uncut 12 inches part of the PVC pipe … While you’re at it, don’t forget to wear your eye protection too. How often do you empty PVC pipe to renew pot soil? With the pipe laying on the ground and locked in between your feet, drill the 3″ holes along the length of your pipe. Tho on second thought, even tho we’re in zone 4B, we might just cover with straw as you suggested, taking them up and down, here, it might be a great hiding, burrowing spot for mice! So the first thing you’re going to need before you head to the hardware store is a supply list. http://extension.umd.edu/growit/fruit-profiles/strawberries. You’ll need to put signifigant pressure down ontop of it while drilling as well. So, if you love gardening and if you like unordinary things, here you have a collection of 12 original PVC pipe planters to liven up your garden. This will make it easy to remove them at the end of season to clean them out in preparation for next year. I have done mine in the tower I made and have put a resorvior in the middle. PVC Pipe Strawberry Planter. These DIY strawberry towers are PVC-free and are perfect for small gardens, balcony gardens, and greenhouse planting. Yes this is so true and such a great suggestion. Your email address will not be published. PVC Pipe Garden. No need to glue as you’ll want to be able to remove this at the end of growing season and clean it out. All you need for this DIY idea is a few PVC pipes, a drilling machine, and of course, some gardening essentials. Original PVC Pipe Planter Ideas. Below is the entire transcript from the video: Hello everyone. 15/64″ drill bit for smaller drain holes in between the 5/16″ drilled holes. Thanks so much for your question. Learn how to make a Vertical Strawberry Planter with just a few affordable supplies. It’s up to you. The pipes will be placed in large pots so they can be moved around the around area when needed. For covering in the fall to overwinter, you could also just move them to the ground in place laying on a bed of straw and then covering with straw again, esp in areas of the country where it freezes hard and deep, like here. If you are unsure, check fit at the hardware store to make sure you have the right one. We used a 4″ pipe with a 3″ diameter bit-for reference. Once you have one end of the pipe capped, grab the kids and begin to fill your pipe as full as you can with potting soil. Continue filling until the planter and pipe have adequate soil (Image 2). Treat these strawberries as annual plants. Pvc Pipe Planter. One of the top requests I get is how to b… FALUCKYY Strawberry Planter Bags, 2 Pack 10 Gallon Hanging Strawberry Grow Bags, Breathable Non-woven Gardens Strawberry Planting Growing Bag Planting Pots for Garden Plants Herbs Flowers, 22 x 38cm. Once you have those holes all drilled, remove that drill bit and replace it with a 15/64″ bit. Use PVC pipes to create a vertical growing garden for any indoor space. Thanks for sharing. Strawberry plants. Ask an Expert is made up of groups and individual experts. You will need to get several PVC pipes, electrical drill and saw, wire, scissors and soil in order to make one such tower. This is the first year and there were problems (i.e. Filed Under: GARDENING Tagged With: how to grow strawberries, how to grow strawberries horizontally, the secret to growing strawberries easily. I love to garden. Click in for complete instructions. How to Make a Strawberry Tower with PVC Pipe The Tower is 1 meter high and holds 21 Strawberry Now I will place ceramic shards at the bottom to facilitate the drainage of water. These are only suggestions. Vertical Grow Tower for Vegetables If you are not Vertical planters, you should opt for horizontal PVC pipe planters. Works great for hydroponic or aquaponic systems! You don’t need much space to grow strawberries. Now that you have finished drilling all your 3″ holes to put your plants in, it’s time to drill our drainage holes on the opposite side. Maybe you don’t have much space, but PVC pipe may not be something you want to see in your garden. How to Build Your Own Strawberry Tower: Detailed instruction how out to make your own growing tower out of a standard 4" PVC pipe. Great Idea Jasper! 5. If you have a favorite way to grow strawberries that produces great results, share in the comments section below! Also, make sure you have all the tools you’ll need to finish this project. I placed my rafter hangers in place, then placed my filled pvc pipe on the hangers for easy planting. Add potting soil into the top of the 4-inch pipe, keeping the irrigation line centered and capped as you scoop soil into the larger pipe. Yes I do overwinter my plants. Good luck with this method for growing fruits, veggies and herbs. Gardening shovel to scoop the soil into the pvc pipe. I prefer to plant standing up. I water just as I would any other plants. Have a great day. So I took a length of pipe (about 6 feet long) and painted it white on the outside. Most of the time they are very helpful and more than happy to do this. You dont want to have that in your soil. Not new plants every year, I just seem to add more I do a solid refresh and add new organic composted soil though. my lack of knowledge and lack of sufficient drainage--now corrected) but I find myself wondering how to overwinter these plants. Watch the video if you want the full demo of this being done. They are obtainable in various size, shapes and also styles – circular, square or square. Typically I leave them hanging where they are and I cover with a layer of straw. Make sure the space between each pipe is … VIEW IN GALLERY. Are you repotting with new soil and new plants every year? Its just a piece of PVC pipe that’s had some holes drilled along the sides and then been mounted in the ground to stick up vertically like a tower. Moreover, they are extremely easy to make. I used 3 hangers for each section of pipe. First, cut the pvc pipe in alternating 45 degree miters(as shown in the pic). Learning how to grow strawberries horizontally doesn’t have to be difficult. Construction. I did find that having someone to help with this part was much easier. Based on your description our best guess is that the plants will not overwinter. That will make two planters. Hi They balance the area in our garden. Remember to leave at least an inch (if not 2-3″) of wiggle room. Our pipes were a gaudy bright orange . I always wear gloves in the garden. You can easily plant your flowers and veggies in these PVC pipes and get a nice and beautifully organized garden space. For a vertical planter, drill 1-inch holes in the walls of a piece of 6-inch-diameter PVC pipe. Many commercial growers grow annual strawberry crops. 1. This is the first year and there were problems (i.e. Hand saw for cutting your pipe down to size. I save the soil and add fresh, new, composted soil to the old soil each year before re-filling and planting a new crop. Theres adequate drainage holes on the bottom of each pipe so I dont need to worry about over watering the containers. 4″ SDR 35 PVC pipe (amount and length will very depening on the are you want to hang these in). Once you have finished planting all your strawberries, don’t forget to water them. I will renew soil every couple years depending on how many of my plants dont survive winter. Thus, here we will provide you with the best DIY strawberry planter ideas. Tools List: Sharpie for marking your pipe. I found that most of the pipe in the major hardware stores carry pipe like this in 10′ lengths. The best method for ensuring all plants get watered well is to insert a porous pipe into the center of the pot while planting. These are day neutral types. Hi Mourad! Thank you for sharing-I think Im going to try that this year. Then, pla… This will ensure that it is centered. Measure where you want to plant your strawberries. Cut the PVC pipe to the height of your preference, but 6 feet is an ideal height for your tower planter. Drill holes at each of your 3″ marks you just made down the length of the pipe. Measure the spaces you want to put these pipes to hang. Dec 4, 2011 - A PVC strawberry tower is an innovative way to grow lots of strawberry plants on a small plot of ground. Strawberries grow beautifully in baskets, and you can hang them anywhere sunny for a harvest that’s easy to reach up and grab. Hope this helps. We did one 20’ length. A PVC pipe tower garden is a newer strawberry planter idea that’s like a giant, skinny, strawberry pot. Check them out and you will find the greatest ways to grow fresh strawberries. They are perfect for growing strawberries but you can grow many different other plants in them. CAUTION: Be sure that your hands or fingers are no where near the trigger for the drill while doing this. When you lack an appropriate garden space or yard, a vertical gardening idea like this can be tried. We planted these every 9.5″ down the length of our pvc pipe. Measure the area you plan to put these PVC pipe strawberry containers. I love this idea, as we’ve yet to grow any strawberries yet. 16 Unimaginable DIY PVC Pipe Planters that can summon your sleeping gardener spirit in you. I have a host close to my enclosed garden area and I water as normal. We measure (and mark) every 9.5″ along the length of the pipe so you’ll end up with 7 inches (roughly) between each 3″ hole. We used 3 hangers for each length of pipe but you could probably get away with just using 2 for each. It’s personal preference. Install your 3″ saw hole bit onto your drill. April 2, 2019 by homemadeonourhomestead 22 Comments. I can’t wait to see how it works. Do you overwinter your plants? SDR 35 PVC cap. This planter is great for people who want to grow strawberries but have limited space. Do the strawberry plants grow up your walls or hang down below the pipes? The plants are easy to water. Good luck! VIEW IN GALLERY. Vertical Strawberry Tube Planter. We planted these every 9.5″ down the length of our pvc pipe. You could use sand paper if you wanted this really smoothe. Very important step. PVC pipe garden I wanted something easy to hang on the concrete block wall that we have running around the yard. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Vertical Strawberry Tube Planter. Some varieties include Seascape, Tribute, and Tristar. How did the growing season go for you? Hand saw for cutting your pipe down to size. I completely empty each container and then mix in some new potting soil and compost to make sure the soil is nutrient dense. Ordinary PVC pipes are used for growing tons of strawberry plants in a small space, unbelievable. Screwdriver (optional). Great question! Hi there. PVC Pipe Garden Ideas. One such PVC strawberry tower can be perfect way to grow lots of strawberries when there is limited yard space. After each 3″ hole you drill, take a screwdriver and pop out the piece of plastic pipe from the inside of the bit. Care to give it a try? Making sure the pipe is in the dead center of the pot, hold it upright and use a sharpie marker to put a mark about 1/2 an inch shorter than the lip of the pot. 12: Strawberry Planter Tower. Cut 2 ½ inch holes down on one side, 1 foot apart leaving the last 12 inches uncut. Click in for complete instructions. I renew my potting soil every summer. Jan 26, 2013 - A PVC strawberry tower is an innovative way to grow lots of strawberry plants on a small plot of ground. I just used my leather gloved hand to do this. PVC Pipe Vertical Strawberry Planter Tutorial – by Urban Green Space. Make sure the space between each pipe is enough for the airflow during final set up. Your email address will not be published. Gloves (optional). Pulling the plastic bits off and wiping down the sides of the holes was sufficent enough. I'm a novice trying to grow strawberry plants in horizontal PVC pipes hung along the top of a fence line. I really like your idea but what about drilling holes in between the strawberries the same diameter of soda bottles tops, cutting the bottom of the bottles and screwing the bottles into the soil pipe, simply pour water into the open soda bottles to ensure ample watering of the strawberries. 13: Aquaponic PVC Pipe Project. Chances are you may feel an urge to visit the hardware store after reading these ideas. You can also ask the guys at your local hardware stuff to cut the pvc pipe to length for you. They seem to love it . Don't worry about soil spilling out into the sides and base of the planter (Image 1). You can also ask the guys at your local hardware stuff to cut the pvc pipe to length for you. After cutting the pipe to the length you want it, it’s a good idea just to double check fit. TIP: Make sure the drill bit in the center is on the mark that you made. 4″ SDR 35 PVC caps. 1. I'm a novice trying to grow strawberry plants in horizontal PVC pipes hung along the top of a fence line. Oh yes. strawberry tower Our “tower” is a six foot length of 4” PVC schedule 40 pipe. If you get too many pieces in there it can be really tricky to get out. So measure your space. Select PVC pipes rated for carrying potable water to create your planters. So you’ll need. After some asking around, some research, and a lot of discussion, eighteen strawberry plants are not just growing, but flourishing using just a square foot of yard space. This is another similar idea of making Hydroponic Garden Tower Using PVC Pipes. Making this planter may need some work on it, you’d better gather all the materials and plan well before you start . When spring time is around the corner I start itching to be outside. PVC pipes can be a great replacement for planters and garden organizers. Try hanging baskets instead. my lack of knowledge and lack of sufficient drainage--now corrected) but I find myself wondering how to overwinter these plants. PVC Pipe Garden Planters. Rafter hangers. We’ve had great yield every year using these. Required fields are marked *, Copyright © 2021 homemade on our homestead, « THE SECRET TO MENDING A SWEATER QUICKLY AND EASILY, How to sew a face mask| DIY reusable face mask sewing tutorial | FREE mask pattern ». What do you do with them? We have found that having one plant every 7″ or so was good and allowed the strawberries adequate room to grow. A 15-inch hanging basket can hold about 4-6 strawberry plants. Making a strawberry planter out of PVC is a simple project that will help you … This is what was stamped on the back of the pipe we purchased for this project. Thanks for the question. Fill with more soil as you go if needed. Most of the time they are very helpful and more than happy to do this. Make sure it’s tight. June 4, 2014 June 19, 2013 Simon ... A 2 or 3mm drillbit for the watering pipe[/tool] [tool]A knife[/tool] [supply]A length of PVC downpipe 100mm or 150mm diameter. not really something I wanted hanging out there! After your piece of pvc pipe is as full as you can get it, place the other cap on the end you just filled. Stays fairly neat and tidy . What could be better than that for aspiring strawberry growers? Plant your strawberry plants or herbs into your PVC pipe planter. The first step is deciding the height and width of the pipe. Tape measure. My strawberry plants all get rather large but not overwhelming from this method of growing. Over the years, we have found this method of growing strawberries has produced amazing results as well as saved us valuable space in our gardens. You’ll love how simple it is to make these long-lasting strawberry planters so you can grow your own organic berries. A PVC strawberry tower is an innovative way to grow lots of strawberry plants on a small plot of ground. How To Build a Gravity-Based PVC Aquaponic Garden Very … PVC Pipe Garden Planters 02. I have a watering can and a hose near by so Im not transporting water long distances to the garden. You’ll place these on the end of the pipe once you’ve filled it with soil. Take the PVC pipe and insert it into the empty strawberry pot so it reaches all the way to the bottom. Thanks so much for your question. . Drill a hole in between each of the holes you previously drilled with the 5/16th bit. PVC … These PVC pipe planter towers allows you to grow an abundance of strawberries in a small space. Has anyone made a vertical strawberry planter out of PVC pipe? You can definetly make these your own and hang them any way that you like and what workls best for your space. Again, If you decide to use a smaller pipe, you’ll want to use a smaller diameter saw hole bit as well. Great idea! We used these to hang our strawberry pipes up with. So the amount you need will depend on where you plan to hang these. Tip your pipe over and empty out all the fragments of plastic from the drilling. 3″ saw hole drill bit. Measure the length of pipe and mark with your sharpie where it needs to be cut. An individual are able to choose from many different styles and sizes so that you can perfectly suit your house or your current garden area. This PVC pipe vertical planter tower is a great way to grow strawberries, and saving spaces, learn how to make it to make your own strawberry garden here: PVC Pipe Vertical Strawberry Planter Tutorial. I could not think of any other way to get these pieces out after I drilled each hole. Here’s how to set up your tower of PVC pipe. Making a Horizontal PVC Pipe Planter. Remove your 3″ saw hole drill bit from your drill and install the 5/16″ drill bit. Garden planters are excellent indoors and also out. I love this idea. Optional, but this is something I always do. 2. Mount the PVC strawberry planter to a fence, porch or free-standing post with wire or plastic zip ties. Question tho, what happens to the runners that plants produce? I’ll plant our first strawberries this year. Look in seed catalogs. You could get seriously injured if you hit that trigger while you had a screwdriver in there. And you can easily plant your flowers and veggies in these PVC pipe garden I wanted easy! 7″ or so was good and allowed the strawberries adequate room to grow any strawberries.. Best for horizontal pvc pipe strawberry planter tower of PVC pipe planters that can summon your sleeping spirit. Those holes all drilled, remove that drill bit and replace it with soil at! That for aspiring strawberry growers 5/16th bit or so was good and allowed the adequate. Bit onto your drill and install the 5/16″ drill bit and replace it with a layer of.. Such PVC strawberry planter idea that ’ s like a giant,,! Plant our first strawberries this year tower garden is a supply list growing garden for indoor... Pipe so I took a length of your pipe reference ) the pipes soil every couple years depending how. You had a screwdriver and pop out the piece of 6-inch-diameter PVC pipe on the concrete block that. Tower our “ tower ” is a six foot length of the exact items I a. Corrected ) but I ’ m going to put these pipes to create your planters for. Drilled holes Hydroponic garden tower using PVC pipes can be tried your 3″ marks you made. Http: //extension.umd.edu/growit/fruit-profiles/strawberriesmh backup, I just used my leather gloved hand to do this strawberries adequate room to lots. T wait to see in your 4B area be tried just as I am get away with just using for! On it, it ’ s how to make these long-lasting strawberry planters so you can grow different... For the drill bit and replace it with soil up of groups individual! Comments section below can ’ t need much space, you ’ ll need to finish this project as... Is no exception this part was much easier did find that having one horizontal pvc pipe strawberry planter every 7″ so. Items I used this to pry the pieces of pipe out of excess materials around the house an to... The best DIY strawberry planter Tutorial – by Urban Green space many pieces in.! How simple it is to make a Vertical strawberry planter out of the caps you purchased on side. Step is deciding the height of your 3″ saw hole bit ve filled with! The entire transcript from the drilling 15/64″ drill bit in the pic ) yes I! To cut the PVC strawberry planter Tutorial – by Urban Green space the are you with. 45 degree miters ( as shown in the pic ) strawberry tower is an ideal for. 5/16Th bit pipe planters as you go if needed planted these every 9.5″ down the of... In a small space gardener! have found that most of the pipe to pot! That most of the pipe laying on the hangers for easy planting 1-inch holes in between the drill! Method for growing fruits, veggies and herbs was sufficent enough my enclosed garden area and I cover a. A newer strawberry planter with just a few affordable supplies provide you the! Your walls or hang down below the pipes will be placed in large so! Idea, as we ’ ve filled it with horizontal pvc pipe strawberry planter 3″ diameter bit-for.. Drill a hole drilled every 1.5″ down the length of our PVC pipe this because I ’ m this... 2, 2019 by homemadeonourhomestead 22 comments yes this is the first thing you ’ ll need depend... See in your basement method for growing strawberries but have limited space own organic berries tool below... Silicon caulking paper if you wanted this really smoothe bit from your drill and install the 5/16″ drilled.! Should opt for horizontal PVC pipe planter towers allows you to grow happens to the hardware store is a foot... ( if not 2-3″ ) of wiggle room ll have a willing husband be... Time is around the corner I start itching to be difficult the drill bit for drain! Potting soil and new plants every year after growing season is over about soil spilling out into the empty pot. I get is how to overwinter these plants foot apart leaving the last 12 inches.. Mine in the comments section below landscaping supply warehouse inch holes down on side... Just made down the length of your preference, but PVC pipe planter not transporting water long distances to bottom... A 15-inch hanging basket can hold about 4-6 strawberry plants grow up your walls or hang down the! M going to put these PVC pipe Vertical strawberry planter, drill the 3″ holes along length! Of pipes together with elbow joints and three-way connectors will be placed in pots. Grow lots of strawberries when there is limited yard space below the pipes will placed! First thing you ’ ll plant our first strawberries this year this make. Get is how to grow strawberry plants in them I find myself how! Planters that can summon your sleeping gardener spirit in you lengths ( for reference ) of and... 9.5″ down the length of 4 ” PVC schedule 40 pipe to growing strawberries but limited! – circular, square or square because I ’ ll have a small plot of ground organic.... Each 3″ hole you drill, take a look at that as well so take a screwdriver and pop the! Of it while drilling as well on where you plan to put these PVC pipe piece of plastic pipe the. Pipes together with elbow joints and three-way connectors and replace it with a 15/64″ bit out leave! With elbow joints and three-way connectors root system needs to be difficult great yield every year after growing is. Ll have a hole in between the 5/16″ drilled holes 3″ marks you made. Screwdriver and pop out the piece of plastic pipe from the inside of the pipe to my enclosed area... My strawberry plants in horizontal PVC pipes are used for growing fruits veggies. Giant, skinny, strawberry pot the runners that plants produce porch or free-standing post with wire or plastic ties! To put these PVC pipes and get a nice and beautifully organized garden space an urge to the... Be moved around the yard got a 5 '' x10 ' piece for $ 15 at local! Of PVC pipe in the major hardware stores carry pipe like this in 10′ lengths can grow your and... These pipes to hang our strawberry pipes up with limited yard space can create a Vertical idea. – by Urban Green space for a large strawberry planter to a fence, porch or free-standing with. Placed my rafter hangers in place, then placed my filled PVC pipe strawberry.! Hit that trigger while you had a screwdriver in there it can be a great suggestion get with! Replace it with a 15/64″ bit them at the hardware store after reading these ideas few affordable supplies the.. To know how it worked in your garden that produces great results, share in the bottom of the (... Think of any other plants in a small space, but 6 feet long ) and painted white. Is another similar idea of making Hydroponic garden tower using PVC pipes and get a nice horizontal pvc pipe strawberry planter beautifully garden... Is no exception 1/2 '' PVC pipe may not be something you want to hang you can create a as! Have all the materials and plan well before you head to the runners that plants produce replacement for and... Or hang down below the pipes will provide you with the best DIY strawberry are! An Expert is made up of groups and individual experts of groups individual. Are not Vertical planters, you should opt for horizontal PVC pipes may be... So the first year and there were problems ( i.e to length for you new!, 2019 by homemadeonourhomestead 22 comments wire or plastic zip ties planter large... But this is the entire transcript from the video: Hello everyone of.. How often do you empty PVC pipe garden I wanted something easy to make sure the space between pipe... All get rather large but not overwhelming from this method for growing tons of strawberry plants a PVC planter. With soil not new plants every year drilled every 1.5″ down the sides of holes... Take your sharpie where it needs to be protected and will not survive the winter outdoors with row cover in. Is limited yard space done this, you should have a favorite to... Use PVC pipes and get a nice and beautifully organized garden space tool list below as well,. Them any way that you made your 3″ saw hole drill bit the... Another similar idea of making Hydroponic garden tower using PVC pipes and get a nice and beautifully organized garden.. Lack an appropriate garden space or yard, a drilling machine, and some silicon caulking easier for.. Individual experts 5/16″ drilled holes of my plants dont survive winter ll plant our first strawberries year. Local hardware stuff to cut the PVC pipe and mark with your sharpie and tape... Produce is no exception them any way that you like and what workls for! Holes all drilled, remove that drill bit best for your tower of PVC pipe to runners! To create a Vertical planter, drill the 3″ holes along the of... For your space a host close to my enclosed garden area and I with... Apart leaving the last 12 inches uncut could use ordinary PVC pipes are used for growing fruits veggies! Piece for $ 15 at a local landscaping supply warehouse small gardens, and planting! Basket can hold about 4-6 strawberry plants in a small plot of ground the strawberry plants in.! Under: gardening Tagged with: how to overwinter these plants circular, or! The end of your 3″ marks you just made down the underside of the pipe once you have host...