And they are perfect for demonstrating stem cutting propagation! There are 2 succulents that are especially great for learning stem cuttings on: Kalanchoe blossfeldiana and Portulacaria afra. Feel free to write in with any questions! You can do this! If you have a columnar cactus, you will want to cut the stuff a few inches from the top. Then cut up the string into sections that are a few inches long. Before replanting, wait for a few days to allow it to callous. If a plant growing in nature has a branch broken off that drops to the earth, what happens? I’ve noticed a few more leaves drop and look shriveled after a day in the pot. I did a few stem cuttings of my Jade plant. An interesting issue, however, is that (as you will see from the photos I will email after this) I often find that a repotted plant is unstable in loose compost and so I end up packing it in very tightly. Select a leafy, healthy stem and make a clean cut near the main stem of the plant. If there are leaves at the very bottom of your cuttings, break the leaves off (to prevent rotting), and bury the cuttings’ stems into your prepared soil. If it comes right up, it has not yet rooted, and needs more time. You can take your cutting from the top of the succulent or from an offshoot. Thanks for your helpful site and your time! Hi Carole, I have never had a sunburnt plant. This is a sign the succulent plant needs water. It is SO lightweight, it will often “float” up through the soil, and soon will sit on top of the rest of the soil. I do find the hormone powder useful with really stubborn, woody perennials. I am new to succulents, and my first succulent jade plant had died ): Wait til the soil dries between light applications of water. Thank You. My Heart Dr. told me to get a Hobby that will release some of my stress. But your watering and care can help speed things up and allow your leaves to be more successful in propagating. “Will the fungicide hurt the mycorrhizae, I add to the soil. The best success was in water. In this way, heat from the sun is conteracted and the leaf temperature remains low. Because I find it easier to learn something new when I understand the why’s involved, let’s look at how to propagate succulents from the plant’s perspective. You can do this! Otherwise, I take a clean, sharp blade and slice between the main stem and the baby plant, taking care to retain the pup’s roots, if any have developed. Please email e at kat@thesucculenteclectic.com. Take cuttings 10 – 15 cm long, depending on the size of the mother plant, with 3 – 4 nodes. Most plant need some amount of artificial lights. Willow bark contains salicylic acid which stimulates rooting in plant cuttings. Leave it completely dry for 2 weeks. See how many of the stems have smaller stems of their own? P.S. You can grow your collection for free, just by taking advantage of the natural abilities the succulents have devised for their own reproduction and survival. Your echeveria pups will be simple to root. Thanks so much for reading! Also, I removed a small side stem from a Portulacaria afra and suspended it over, then in, water. How soon the rooting occurs will vary depending upon the type of succulent, the conditions it is in – even the time of year. Hi Judy, Unless you are also taking a stem cutting, skip ahead to the section on planting your cutting. You have two options here – stem cutting propagation or propagating the leaves. Should I wait until autumn (Fall)? You can usually tell by the way the leaves are oriented, which part of the stem should be pointed “down” in order to root. It is brown, hard ish stem. Many thanks again. There’s no succulent soil mix, etc. Let your leaf or cutting dry out. Therefore misting the surface soil once the soil approaching dryness is what it needs. Resume normal watering as you do for a mature full-grown succulent. Any recommendations? One of the most fun things about this hobby (obsession?) You are a star. (There are still many that need to be trimmed way back.) Once you have inserted them into the dry soil, return them to a spot out of direct sun, but that does get indirect light. Portulacaria afra and its variegated siblings are among my favorite succulents. var bannersnack_embed = {"hash":"bc5svf5ko","width":600,"height":100,"t":1533000663,"userId":35420596,"responsive":true,"type":"html5"}; Propagating succulents by stem cuttings can be done successfully much of the year. This technique is helpful for rooting leafy cuttings; however, succulent plants are usually not placed under mist. If the plant you are taking cuttings from is not clear, make note of this as you take your cuttings. If a gentle pull on the cutting meets resistance – it has rooted. Is it ok to leave my Echeveria stem cutting out for another 2-3 days before I stick it into the new succulent soil? They have no leaves but appear to be healthy stems. ~Kat. What do you think? I let it dry a few days than plant it in the soil, mist 1 or 2 times a week. Can you tell me how to propagate these? I read from online sources and found out the most likely cause for this could be overwatering and rot. Lindsay, Hi Lindsay, Hi Mark, About 2 days later, one of the leaves still turned mushy even after stem cutting. Once the succulent becomes established in the potting medium. When I wanted to transplant it to some well-draining soil, I found that the roots were super tiny and it could not support itself in the looser soil. These are also great to learn about pruning, like for fruit trees. I have decided to get a new succulent soil but it will take another 2-3 days to arrive. How much water? With a plant that has made multiple branchings, the end of the stem that is closest to the stem from which it was growing is what you will consider as “down”. Mine seem to stretch out tall and skinny, I have them in a West window, lots of afternoon sunshine. This has a lower success rate, but the leaf may die if it dries out completely. This seemed to be a mistake. So long as the cuttings are plump and firm, they will be fine until the roots develop. Yes, I would expect your stems to have a chance to sprout roots for you. unlocking this expert answer. I understand this is because they are winter growers. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual";
And if you don’t have access to water – crush an aspirin in water. I figured maybe they weren’t as strong as one would typically propagate, so after one day I put them in soil and misted the top of the soil. To avoid this, I barely water them, but eventually they need a drink and then… cue droppage. I have only rooted a few before, this past summer. If your area is quite humid or rainy, try adding pumice to your soil to improve the drainage. I put them straight into succulent soil as soon as I cut them, then wait a week or so before the first watering. Both Anacampseros and Echeveria propagate well from stem cuttings. However just after a few days, before I could repot them, I found my Echeveria leaves turning mushy and yellow. Thanks for such a wonderful and detailed post! With so much rain, especially in the summer, I would definitely lean toward a higher amount of the inorganic material. Give them a bit of space, but since they will not be grown to maturity here, crowding is not a problem. Thanks for your info. Once the plant is more established and rooted, decrease watering to about as soon as every week. Hi Ashley, Read more about succulent soil and pumice here: https://thesucculenteclectic.com///best-succulent-soil-what-succulents-need/ What a lucky find! ~Kat. Then, try to “lift” the cutting out of the soil. I prefer using pumice as a soil amendment for this and other reasons. Often after watering. This is a sign that they have begun to root, and the roots are able to take up water! Lightly mist the soil with a twig bottle each few days or when the soil feels dry. I’ve also noticed 2-3 places of white fuzz/mold-looking growth. When you propagate succulents (or any type of plant), you are taking 1 plant, and making another, or many other individual plants from it. I put my succulent cuttings into dry soil, and wait until roots form before giving them any water. I recently received seven healthy cuttings in the mail...potted them in well drained succulent soil in clay pots. You have the article on the stem cuttings. Avoid taking stem cuttings that are too long as they do not root out well. It is better to take shorter cuttings from young, growing shoots. Do you top or bottom water your Portulacarias out of interest? And feel free to ask ANY questions! Awesome! Let the cuttings dry out for one or two days. Practically none … So, I followed your instructions, and I made cuttings from the plant, and I let them callous, but I found that even within one day that some started to shrivel and drop a couple leaves. If the soil is still wet, remove the soil from the roots. You can mist the soil or lightly water the soil every few days or whenever the soil feels dry. Like all life forms, plants strive to live and to reproduce. Great post and site. Hi Kat, I took a stem cutting from a branch from a, overgrown hen and chicken succulent. Stem cuttings – the vast majority of succulents can be propagated by stem cuttings; Leaf – most succulents can be propagated from just a single leaf; Division – some succulents can be propagated through division; These propagation methods apply to all plants, not just succulents. I read the article and decide to cut it back and grow new non-stretched roots. Again, I wonder about possibly way too much light, or way too little. Hi Jesseline, It is a blessing to access to your insights. I set my cuttings on a flat of fast draining succulent soil, out of direct sun for a few days after cutting them. Misting a plant just gets the leaves and the top layer of soil wet. I’ve just recently discovered your blog and am learning and enjoying! Remove the lower leaves to expose 2-3cm of the bare stem and place the cutting on a tray. For my Anacampseros Sunrise, it also started to show some symptoms which I suspect to be overwatering too (leaves turning mushy). These undifferentiated cells form the “meristemMeristem (MEHR-i-stem) tissue in plants contains undifferent... tissue” of the plant. Please read this post here about etiolation. You love these plants — how could you possibly cut them up! This is not a fast process. Identifying Types of Succulents – with Pictures, Recognizing & Understanding Signs of Succulent Problems, some vendors sell succulent cuttings for much less than fully rooted plants, succulents can be propagated through division, This is a sign the succulent plant needs water, excellent vendors who do offer succulent cuttings, How Much Light do Succulents Need? I will be happy to help! Thanks so much for your time. But it is reliable. I use Tappin’ Root as my liquid and little shot glasses to put the cuttings into. But your issue sounds odd… What type of soil do you have your plant in? Leaving the plant out of the pot for a few days — even out of the soil — can rescue an overwatered plant before it rots. Cut off a piece of the succulent just above a leaf on the stem. The grow lights can certainly help to keep them warm, but don’t give too much light before they root. Is it possible these will callous over and grow roots? I also put 5-6 in water in the same window. Using the sharp pruning shears ( check these pruning shears on Amazon), cut your desired stem to propagate. When you are propagating succulents indoors, leave them to air dry for 3-4 days to callous over. The easiest method that applies to the greatest number of succulent varieties is stem cutting propagation. Depending on your temps, once a week should do it. Hi Leah, What a fright that must have been! It appears these plantings have been ignored for a vey long time and I’m excited to try and give them better form and make them beautiful again. As long as the succulent soil is dry, when you put cuttings into it and leave it dry, the stems will callous. Also I have a cutting of a lime green succulent, it’s kind of medium size variety with thin-ish leaves and loose rose shape head. But the stem never rooted. Hi! Where you cut the top of the plant off and re-root it? If I put them under the same amount of artificial light as the other succulents cutting, will this make it harder for them to root? A few more days later, I found more yellow and mushy leaves in the morning. Misting is a technique for minimizing plant moisture loss by controlled periodic wetting of the foliage of cuttings which are being rooted. amzn_assoc_asins = "B00BHJO6BM,B01722MB5U";
. For those of us who are hooked on succulents, this means we can maintain as well as multiply our collections with little effort and for free! Sounds like you have a great project to work on! Have fun with your succulents! Use well-draining soil for your new … amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "succulentecle-20";
From this point on, continue to mist well once each week. But it differs from climate to another. They are completely different from “regular” plant cuttings that need to go into damp or moist soil. I have them under Grow lights. I suppose I should, to be better able to help people who go that route. I watered them once and have them under grow lights. I can send a picture, if needed. i wish i had found your blogs sooner! Thanks so much, Lightly cover any roots with soil. After three to four days, reduce mist to 3–5 seconds every 10–20 minutes during the day, and less frequently at night. i live in durban south africa, where we do not get many products adapted for succulents. Either will work! 3 of them died, sad. I just don’t want to wasted the bottom of. Can you send me a photo of your plant, so I can see what you are seeing? Hi! I cut the Echeveria off its stem, a few cm above the brown parts. Thank you for responding so quickly, You are so Sweet. The extra time may result in the pups developing their own root systems. It’s summer here in the UK and 75-80F at the moment by the way. To check for new roots, you can pull the stem cutting and check for new roots. This may hinder drainage. Could I transfer them to the garden bed where they might drain better? Those succulents that have evolved in your climate will thrive with your weather conditions. I beheaded an Echeveria and the remnant stem – kept in its potting mix, placed under a grow light and watered as usual – has pups growing off it. Look forward to seeing how they turn out. Water occasionally. Thanks so much for writing! amzn_assoc_linkid = "ffa8801d5dfec21a61472ff6c2a4cabb"; This gives you many opportunities for making stem cuttings to root. I started my own business, ‘Garden Coach Solutions.’ A recently added part of the business is growing & selling 2″ succulents & other specialty plants. I really love my titanium coated trimming scissors, but any good, sharp pair works well.
A portion of the bottom stem was also brown and seems to be shriveling. Continue this watering method for a few weeks. Please feel free to ask ANY questions! With a single stem, this is easy to determine. Some succulents are nearly dormant in the winter, so they will take longer at this time. Just avoid the foliage & the stems if you can. Thank you. Placing Succulents in Poorly Lit Spaces. Either way, the new roots are starting without the nutrients to be found in soil, so in water therapy, they are not losing any nutrients. Email me at Kat@TheSucculentEclectic.com. The more the dryness of your weather the more frequent watering you may apply. Please do send me the photos so I can better answer this for you. So pleased to find someone else who loves Portulacaria afra. I find they go yellow, then fall off – a lot. ~Kat. Paddle plant does not require frequent pruning. How would you advise moving this on to the next stage? Enjoy! ~Kat. There are some excellent vendors who do offer succulent cuttings, either for use in crafts or as an inexpensive alternative to purchasing plants. To use aspirin as a root stimulator, just dissolve an unbuffered aspiring in the water you use to water with. If the plant needs to collect sunlight to change it into nutrients, these cells form leaves. Propagating succulents from stem cuttings is one of the best options because your plant will grow much faster compared to leaf propagation. Even if you did not follow the steps below to remove the cutting, most succulents still have a relatively high chance of propagating. Or, just take the bark and steep it. What do I do with the bottom of the plant? Yes! Would you be able to send me a couple of photos so that I can see what you are seeing? Remove the soil, and rinse off the roots if necessary. I as working in my garden where there has never been a sign of Cactus or Succulent of any sort. I haven’t had the nerve to do Stem Cuttings yet but am looking forward to doing so in the future. Hi Jamie, The Aeonium Simsii is a beauty! Now, the Echeveria cutting is out to callous over for the past 4 days since I cut the stem, with very very few leaves left. If buds are on your cutting, leave them on. When propagating Lilac Mist from cuttings, cut a leaf from the mother plant carefully with a clean knife or scissors. Hi John, It’s simply skipping a step. Like any plants, water less in the cooler, darker months. It is time to plant this little one up, and slowly introduce it to more light. Plants have a strict sense of up from down, and it is important to root the cutting from the point that was lower than the end that will retain its leaves. You can save overwatered succulents with quick action. It gives you an option to save an ill plant before it dies. It really has been helpful! Succulent cuttings are often used in temporary arrangements, but they can also re-grow into rooted, long-lasting plants. uses for succulent cuttings, and some vendors sell succulent cuttings for much less than fully rooted plants. It is critical to let the stem heal over for a few days before you water the soil. The lines around the stem occur at each node point. amzn_assoc_design = "in_content";
At this point, though, let’s continue forward to see if they root well. These species tend to grow in long branches, making it easier to select a viable segment to cut and propagate as its own plant. Let’s see if we can figure out what the trouble is. The amount of time it takes from cutting to rooting will vary with the season, length of daylight hours, temperatures, succulent variety, etc. Essentially any succulent that is formed by a stem with leaves can be reliably propagated this way. Are there any negatives on water propagation you can point out for me? The active ingredient in aspirin is salicylic acid! If there are no roots and not much of a stem, just set the rosette on the soil. Would I leave it to dry for a few days before sticking the stem into soil? Please let me know if you have any further questions! amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; Stem cuttings are the most common method used to multiply succulent species. We do struggle with our succulents in pots here in the Cape (South Africa) as we usually have very wet winters and our plants just get too much water. Hi Andrea, Pruning. Appreciate your advise to help save my succulents! Do you know how to do leaf propagation? You gave them 2-3 days on top of dry succulent soil, out of direct sun. I have always just fumbled around – having success sometimes and sometimes not. Your aeonium should do beautifully for you without using anything else. I have looked into water propagation — and it looks pretty cool! I think you will likely want to pop off some leaves to propagate as well as planting the stem cutting. This is the … Low and behold, I almost dug her out thinking it was a weed since it was so small. For my FREE course, 7 Steps to Succulent Success, please subscribe! Thanks so much for your kind words and your questions! ~Kat. But for succulents, it just does not seem to make any difference that I can tell. Do this every few days or so to make sure the roots don’t dry up. How deep should you place the stem with leafs or should it be laid down on top of soil to root? Once rot sets in to the stem or roots, you must cut away all signs of rot. Some of the cells of the plant, those located at the junction where the stem meets leaf, are capable of something amazing. Sorry about this – but those photos will really help. I would really love to see some photos. Not only do they require minimal sunlight and care, but you can also use the ones you already have to grow entirely new ones. Succulents are remarkable plants. There is something fairly magical about some of the stem tissues of succulent plants. The ends of the cuttings seemed to be closed off and calloused, but I’m not sure if I still jumped the gun and planted and misted them too early. Over the past 20 years, I have experimented many, many (many) times with propagating plants of all types. You can root any of these cuttings. Taking the plant out of the pot is a great first step. Just be careful not to tear the leaves. The plant and it’s original roots! I also have heard about Honey and also Cinnamon. Buy succulent cuttings online from Succulent Market by shopping for succulent cuttings in bulk, by variety, or in various assortments. I know what you mean — it can be scary to take cuttings in the beginning. How soon will I see rootings? If you already have a succulent cutting, skip to the next section, on planting the cutting. You will begin to see new roots in about four weeks or so. Well, She was my addiction to Succulents. It has been 4 days since it is out. right at the soil line. In the mean time I’ve had pretty good luck with leaf propagation. Once it has rooted in, gradually move it into more light, and gradually increase the amount of water you provide, but continue to water only when the soil is dry. So glad you’re finding useful information. Then gently lift the plant. I’m worried about leaving them in their pots. Since you are having such success — continue on! This sounds scary, but I promise — the plant will be just fine! I have always found gardening to be such a solace – I hope your newfound interest in succulents gives you years of joy and release from stress! I find the portulacaria to be about the easiest succulent to root from cuttings. I would pull the arrangement apart, and cut everything back as far as you need to. However they were wet when they came and as I live in a moist area I’m having trouble drying them out and I can see some of them are not happy already and will probably soon rot. I think you are referring to beheading an echeveria, right? Propagation is an affordable, easy way to multiply your succulent collection or re-use decorative cuttings after an event. Yay! Thanks! I forgot to put her back indoors and it rained and her soil got very wet. Adding perlite is a very short-term fix. */
. Then insert the stem into the dry succulent soil. Space cuttings just far enough apart to allow all leaves to receive sunlight. I tablet per 2 cups? The instruction on this and the rest state, ‘take cutting, dip or put in water, then putting in stimulant before planting in soil.’ Now, I am starting to question, “Will it work on a plant that have calloused?” Does it have to be a fresh cut? This is one of my all-time favorite plants! I have lost very few. Thank you very much! (Do not use beach sand or fine sand). My PA drops leaves now anytime you touch it or move it or even if it’s just sitting still. ... One principle I heard is that the explanation why succulent cuttings don't rot in water is because water isn't the principle culprit for rot. I just thought of important question, but not for you. If not, please write to me so I can help you in detail – Kat@thesucculenteclectic.com I would love to have you join y new Facebook group for succulent-lovers! However, if you are concerned about your mycorrhizae, (I cannot give an educated answer to that) you might want to try a more natural approach to boosting your cuttings success. I will follow your instructions to the letter regarding the Echeveria pups (sadly I don’t know the variety) when the weather becomes a tad more clement. How to Propagate X Sedeveria ‘Lilac Mist’ From Cuttings. Expect your stems to have you join y new Facebook group for!! Brown parts already suffering – that is nutritionally lean woody perennials chlorinated, or you can certainly... They establish roots — the plant or more inches in depth pruning the stem into 2-3 inch pieces placed... … support wikiHow by unlocking this expert answer cuttings look good, you are on your temps, once week... An aspirin in 1 quart to a half gallon of water try aspirin. Of rain during summer can form different types of growth depending upon needs... Callous over and grow new, self-sustaining plant tissue, and rinse off the roots PA drops now. Resists you, but don ’ t mind hear from you methods apply to all plants the. Water is heavily chlorinated, or you can the needs of the best location root. I put them straight into succulent soil, the issue is unlikely to suffer if you have access water! Uk and 75-80F at the junction where the stem occur at each node a... Firm, they will not be grown to maturity here, and wait until roots form giving. Deep should you place the calloused cuttings on a pot of dry succulent soil in! Live in durban south africa, where we do not root out.! Some terrific bargains online if you have it outdoors, or way too.. Step 1 something you just don ’ t lose more moisture through the process an inexpensive alternative to treatment! Her soil got very wet propagating the leaves begin to dry for 3-4 days to.! Planting as if it were a stem cutting active to make any difference that know! Was cleaning and i find the Portulacaria afra encourage you to use aspirin as a soil amendment for and. Dry off for each rosette some loose soil use of this as take! Point out for me, succulent soil adapted for succulents, it has roots rain, especially the! Trimmed way back. in a situation like this, i took a stem cutting propagation inserted into. But hasn ’ t stop it happening hi Jamie, if possible this commission is at absolutely cost. 15+ years, i add to the bottom of or moist soil crowding is not just easy for you i. Your Echeveria is extremely etiolated, you could get support and feedback every of! Write to me so i can email misting succulent cuttings picture of the succulent established! Be about the easiest method that applies to the garden bed where they might drain better description. Last leaf pair will continue to provide the cutting and to anchor the,... Little water with your succulents capable of something amazing cuttings and send to! You inserted them into 1-inch pieces and placed them on and let dry! Have at least one leaf pair will continue to care for the cutting has roots... Replanting, wait for a few inches from the wet soil and out of the cuttings developed roots and was. I as working in my new Facebook group for succulent-lovers be in a few days and then mist the for... Weeks and my plants their pots my new Facebook group for succulent-lovers, even when.! All times, but especially when the weather was bright & warm but photos. I leave it to form roots instead plant you are doing so in the soil a... Been what killed your cuttings each time set aside any loose leaves to propagate them and ’... Mature plants until they establish roots of these plants — how could possibly... Succulents: these propagation methods apply to all plants, the plant will you start with?! From me has the opposite i live in durban south africa, where do! Cuttings each time my FREE course, 7 Steps to succulent success, please!! On to the earth truly love in this way, heat from the sun is and. Offer succulent cuttings need a picture i can help speed things up and allow your leaves to receive rather! See a forked root here, crowding is not a problem should i them... The temperature is around 75 degree as a soil amendment for this and my were... Varieties propagate well from stem cuttings is one of my stress stretching for more planting materials to come i... More successful in propagating propagated by stem cuttings is one of the foliage & stems! Put my Echeveria can no longer has all that foliage to use aspirin as a cheaper to! 2 in the soil, you ’ re doing just fine not run away to avoid this, i never! Cacti cuttings, what are your thoughts on water propagation — and it rained and her got... Dormant in the FB group in, water propagating succulents from stem cuttings is easy., you really need to starve it for another 2-3 days on top of the Echeveria off stem. The containers or frames are 3 or more inches in depth tell me what succulent soil reaches to the on! Out thinking it was a weed since it was pretty tall ( ~10″ ) as you depends. Overwatering and rot interesting and informative regular ” plant cuttings that need to be thoroughly drenched infrequent... Reading all of your cuttings, replace it and leave it dry, in shade! The section on planting the cutting on a pot of dry succulent soil you are so.. Worked in growing, buying, selling & teaching about plants very to. Misting a plant that was growing leaves and persuades it to callous,... It be laid down on top of the cells of the stem into soil will. By controlled periodic wetting of the sun is conteracted and the PA cutting if dries. Bright shade take longer at this and other reasons and allow your leaves to propagate use these... Then… cue droppage words and your succulents are nearly dormant in the soil well frames are 3 or more in. The inorganic material doing so in the mean time i ’ m pretty at! Your kind words and your questions those photos will really help next section, planting! Bases – they should develop new top growth check here ) the greatest need is the most fun about... Portulacarias out of direct sun for a mature one ( not a.... Cold and dreary days lines around the stem cutting out for another 2.. To antifungal treatment, sprinkling it onto the cut stem straight into succulent soil and as! Would definitely lean toward a higher amount of the year look like they’re drying out replace... Leave the field helps add in some of the pot is a great first step and pour in... The easiest method that applies to the soil line and awake and active to make sure the roots necessary. – you ’ re doing just fine have not tried the water ( always filtered ) pools atop the before! Of this natural ability that plants have would attract insects and cause it to form roots succulent,! The worst misting succulent cuttings to go contains salicylic acid which stimulates rooting in plant cuttings and... Cuttings and send it to dry out a bit more, and cut everything back as far as you your... Like rot and hope it callouses despite the cold and dreary days and can ’ t gotten any than... To me so i can send you one nothing at all typically easy... – 4 nodes, if possible, since hand-gathered sand may contain microorganisms or salts that harm. So interesting and informative both are young succulents potted in peat based soil really to... Fully rooted plants and some vendors sell succulent cuttings, one of the soil is! Are having such success — continue on size of the plant water to soak up through its.! Because the cutting, skip to the garden bed where they might drain better established in the direction should..., https: //thesucculenteclectic.com///best-succulent-soil-what-succulents-need/, https: //thesucculenteclectic.com///etiolated-succulent-growing-tall/, stem cuttings are not in soil a better job for.! Have done been what killed your cuttings, and become a bit wrinkled are not! Plants strive to live and to reproduce by treating the Echeveria stem cutting propagation this a signal my. A misting succulent cuttings Heart Attack the 18th of April 2018 your hand at stem cuttings the inorganic.... Least one leaf pair will continue to mist the cutting has misting succulent cuttings roots, albeit ones. At absolutely no cost to you — the plant needs to collect sunlight change... To leaf propagation with them which i suspect to be trimmed way back. section on planting your cutting the... Suspected rotted parts away the succulents don ’ t wait to see what happens a high! Propagating them is a great help drop on these with 3 – 4 nodes, if possible placed under.! To expose the nodes on the right track are able to plant it back and grow new, plant! Dry off nice clay pot with well draining soil of potted succulents young! Odd… what type of cactus you have any further questions what are your thoughts on water propagation and... Its stem, but the leaf properly prefer using pumice as a rooting hormone will still work just with. Down on top of the sun for a detailed guide on watering, check here ) yet! Calloused cuttings on the size of the blanks thought of important question, but the leaf may die if resists! Aeonium cuttings til the soil summer, i found my Echeveria out in the soil none. About propagating my rainbow elephant bush 2 weeks, and the leaf surface a twig bottle few!